Ward & Berry PLLC represents a broad range of federal contractors, including providers of private security, logistics, intelligence, engineering services, information technology, and medical support. Our services include counseling and dispute avoidance, government contractor compliance, suspension and debarment, claims and bid protests, and litigation in state and federal courts, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and the federal boards of contract appeals.
Representative engagements by Ward & Berry PLLC attorneys include:
- Counsel to an Afghan transportation provider in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Obtained $3M award after jury trial against U.S. prime contractor and rejection of all opposing claims totaling over $10M. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit upheld the verdict.
- Counsel to the CEO of a U.S. defense contractor on tort claims advanced by an Afghan subcontractor in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Successful defense strategy led to pre-trial dismissal of claims against the CEO.
- Counsel to Founder / Board Chairman of prominent government contractor in suspension and debarment proceedings commenced by United States Air Force. Obtained favorable resolution of proceedings.
- Counsel to multiple defense contractors providing support to U.S. military operations in Afghanistan for testimony before the Commission on Wartime Contracting, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and the Senate Armed Services Committee.
- Counsel to numerous defense contractors in investigations launched by agency Inspectors General, the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR), Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction (SIGIR) and the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command (CID).
- Conducted investigation on behalf of compound owner in Baghdad, Iraq, where criminal shooting spree resulted in multiple contractor fatalities.
- Conducted investigation on behalf of U.S. contractor with operations in Afghanistan after employee was implicated in deaths of U.S. troops.
- Shepherding various government contractors through government contract risk assessments, compliance audits, and compliance program development efforts.
- Advising various global private security services providers on compliance with United States and host nation laws and regulations in performing services abroad in support of federal contracts.
- Training employees of various federal contractors on anti-corruption, combating human trafficking, business ethics, and other compliance topics.
- Conducting anti-corruption compliance audit of U.S. defense contractor operating in Afghanistan.